Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Back to the Future

I used to e-mail with an older guy who went by the handle "10x".  He was a very patient and concise trader.  He mainly traded the /ES E-mini S&P 500 Futures contracts daily.  When he did swings, he would pair his trades such as a long and short ETF.  In other words, he would go long and short at the same time of the ETF for say Oil, and then float them against each other by buying the corresponding number of shares to make them equal by dollar value.  Once he found a trend on one that was over taking the other, he would sell off the laggard so to speak.
This got me to thinking over the last month or so as the markets have been so crazy.  I found myself trying to force swings in a market that was not swing friendly.  So I started to move my focus back towards futures contracts to use as a trading vehicle for the time being.  My goal now is to tighten up my intraday charts to make it easier to get in at better entry points on the future contracts, and use them to scalp out daily income until the market gets back to swing mode which I prefer.

The following link is a shortcut, or cheat sheet to the futures contracts I watch, including the margin rate, ticks to make $200, times the trade and so forth.  I use thinkorswim, but the symbols should jive with most platforms -

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B5BXfYeOb6N5OGRjZGViM2YtOTA0Zi00NzVkLWJkOGYtMGM2ZDRmNGEzYzJh&hl=en_US

No comments:

Post a Comment